4/17/13

BODY & EXERCISE - Lark vs. Owl (sleep)




If you're anything like me, you love to sleep! It's one of the best things in the world! Ideally, I would sleep-in everyday and wake up only when my body clock tells me to. And, if I got tired in the middle of the day, I would take a nap and sleep more! Unfortunately, the majority of us don't have the leisure of doing so. We wake up to get ready for a job we do 40 hours a week, and on our days off there's usually appointments, activities, or house chores that need to be done so there's no time to sleep in then. As we get older, sleep becomes less and less a part of our day. I don't even want to get started with the parents of new born babies. I've heard that sleep is something that doesn't happen very often and your constantly tired. Now I've never been a parent but I am a parent to a four month old puppy and he doesn't let me sleep much either.

According to WebMD the amount of sleep you need depends on your age:


  • Infants require about 16 hours a day
  • Teenagers need about 9 hours on average
  • Most adults need 7 to 8 hours a night for the best amount of sleep, although some people may need as few as 5 hours or as many as 10 hours of sleep each day
  • Women in the first 3 months of pregnancy often need several more hours of sleep than usual

Also, not having enough sleep can negatively affect your body:


One thing I noticed within these last few months though is strange. I wake up before my alarm on my days off and I don't feel so tired in the morning. However, when I wake up to my alarm on the days I have to work, I feel lousy in the morning. Studies show that you shouldn't snooze and snoozing only causes you to become more tired so that could be a contributor to why I feel so bad on the mornings I have to go to work. A goal of mine I have for the rest of the work week this week is to NOT SNOOZE and see how I feel then. What do you do in order to wake yourself up? Do you have a daily routine or are you a snoozer like myself?

I read an interesting article on the Huffington Post on how to become a morning person. Do you think these tricks will work? Let me know, I'd love to hear from ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment